Ankylosing spondylitis. Not a common back
pain condition you hear about all the time, but it’s one that is deserving of gentle, relieving treatment by an
experienced chiropractor like your Carrolltown
chiropractor at Gormish Chiropractic & Rehabilitation. Chiropractic care of ankylosing
spondylitis (AS) is relieving for many such patients, and Cox®
Technic is a very gentle treatment approach Carrolltown
ankylosing spondylitis patients value.
WHAT IS ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS?
Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory rheumatic
disease altering most commonly
the spine and sacroiliac joints. Timely treatment when AS is active
may help maintain some flexibility in the spine and lessen
any resulting hyperkyphosis of the cervicothoracic spine
and/or rigidity of the thoracolumbar, lumbosacral and sacroiliac spine that may
develop and block doing favorite
activities of daily living. There are mainly
two forms: active and inactive. Active is the development phase of AS while
inactive is the post-development phase of AS. Gormish Chiropractic & Rehabilitation takes
care of both types with associated healthcare colleagues to the
advantage of the AS patient.
WHAT HELPS MANAGE ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS?
Teamwork and coordination is beneficial
for patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Chiropractors, rheumatologists,
primary care physicians, physical therapists, etc., are all key
in the management of ankylosing spondylitis. The first step is diagnosing
ankylosing spondylitis. Gormish Chiropractic & Rehabilitation is aware of the signs: back
pain with more than 1 of three features
(HLA-B27 positivity, current inflammatory back pain, or x-ray/MRI evidence of
sacroiliitis). 37% of ankylosing spondylitis is diagnosed by a rheumatologist while the other 63% is diagnosed by other healthcare
providers like your Carrolltown chiropractor. (1) Rheumatologists report
on the benefits of a new method to try:
nanocurcumin. It’s documented that T-helper 17 cells appear at higher amounts in ankylosing spondylitis patients. Nanocurcumin
is surfacing as a new way to contain
the T-helper 17 cells as it is an anti-inflammatory compound shown to improve some clinical symptoms of ankylosing
spondylitis. (2) Combining chiropractic manipulation and
rehabilitation with care of a rheumatologist is positive
for inactive ankylosing spondylitis patients in a recent study. Cox®
flexion distraction was a chiropractic approach used to treat ankylosing spondylitis patients that helped. Patients also did home stretches and rehab exercises. They experienced
some relief of the symptoms, decreased pain and improved
ability to perform activities of daily living. (3) Gormish Chiropractic & Rehabilitation delivers
gentle, stretching Carrolltown chiropractic care with Cox® Technic
spinal manipulation. Carrolltown AS patients say it feels good to
their stiff spines. And a little good goes a long way!
CONTACT Gormish Chiropractic & Rehabilitation
Listen to this PODCAST
with Dr. Gabriel Monterrubio, a chiropractor practicing in Mexico, on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael
Johnson as he explains his care and pain
alleviating success for several ankylosing spondylitis patients - including
a diver who continues diving even now – using
Cox® Technic and exercise in the treatment plan.
Schedule a Carrolltown chiropractic appointment at Gormish Chiropractic & Rehabilitation
for yourself or a loved one who has ankylosing spondylitis. Uncommon?
Yes. Unmanageable? No. Gormish Chiropractic & Rehabilitation is here to help.